Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Adriano, Jens and 300, the sequel; Antonio Puerta RIP.

First things first: comment must be made about the alleged Adriano transfer. And when I say alleged, it was definitely offered: Arsene doesn't comment in the way he did unless something was put on the table.

The exact details seem unclear. It seems we were offered Adriano on a year long loan, while Inter wanted either Rosicky or Flamini in return. Whether they wanted those players on loans or permanent deals, I'm also unsure.

To my mind, Arsene was right to turn this deal down; the last Brazillian we had on year-long loan hardly worked out, and Baptista was in a lot better shape than Adriano. To put things simply, Adriano is overweight and has an appalling work ethic. He has obvious, devastating talent, but he's in the process of wasting it. We probably do need another striker, but I would be loath to lose Rosicky, or even Flamini, on a player we would have to rehabilitate with no guarantee of reward.

Another player who won't be leaving the club is Jens, despite some fairly scurrilous reporting in the media overnight. Whether he's injured or not is, obviously, a matter of contention, but Arsene would be stupid to let him go now. I'm fairly sure, unless Almunia suddenly starts to display Cech-esque abilities, that Jens will be back between the sticks in two or three weeks time. Hopefully this period of chastening will sharpen his form.

The Spartans return tonight, but this is no Thermopylae, especially as Repka is out injured. Whilst I don't think the game will be a repeat of Liverpool's walk in the park last night, I would be surprised if we were tested too stringently by Sparta. Who knows, an early goal could make things uncomfortable, but, and similarly, an early goal from us could turn the game into a training match.

Personally, I'm hoping to see the likes of Bendtner, Diaby and Walcott given a chance. Perhaps the game might be a good occassion for Eduardo to open his Arsenal account. I also hope that the Spartans don't try and inflict any serious injuries on us after the brutal game in Prague.

Finally, I'd like to mention Antonio Puerta. Purely by chance, I watched the Seville game in a local pub and saw Antonio collapse. I've never seen first hand something happen like this in sport before and I have to admit to being rather affected by it.

By all accounts Antonio was a lovely guy and a wonderful player. I can also say with some certainty that he had, or even was, been monitored by Arsenal scouts.

It's at times like this that, as fans, we have to look past the essentially petty divisions between clubs and recognise that what has happened affects all football supporters. It is an unmitigated tragedy and, as such, I would like to forward my heartfelt condolences, and those of my readers, towards Antonio's family and friends. Rest in peace mate.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

R.I.P Antonio Puerta. Great Talent sorely missed.

Anonymous said...

RIP Puerta I hope Sevilla take the Primera by storm this season and dedicate it to your memory!

Anonymous said...

Adriano is a fat lazy fella. He would never fit into our team. There was no chance Arsene would have accepted the exchange offer.

Anonymous said...

Is he dead? I thought he was in a stable condition in ICU

crazyBobcat said...

Thanks for mentioning Puerta. In all the football blogs I read each morning, this is the only one to mention this horrible tragedy. Thank you.

Goonerboy said...

Arseblog also mentioned it.

I couldn't believe the BBC ran the Solskjaer retirement story above it yesterday.

Anonymous said...

The BBC were more interested in finding out if the Champions League draw was going to be postponed. Not very impressive stuff...

Anonymous said...

RIP Antonio Puerta, great talent and had a great future. Wrighty7

Anonymous said...

The Times chose Dyer's injury over the death of a player, shocking by the media.